Wednesday, February 24, 2010

Comedy of errors

Recently I bought a digital SLR, a NIKON D5000, for my wife, not because we were interested in photography but we wanted to save the memories of our kids growing up.

In the past I always made fun of people who are new to photography since they made us stand still for a long time while making adjustments to their camera. So I was never interested in Manual modes, point and shoot was more than good enough for me.

When we got this camera, I wanted to try manual modes. Within no time it was getting interesting. Thanks to my co-worker Al Spinks (he has a photography blog at http://alsphotographyblog.blogspot.com/) who gives me tips and advices. One day, I took my camera with me when I went to pick up my daughter from preschool.

While I was taking pictures of the books, shelves, tables and chairs in her class, two kids came to me and asked if I would take their pictures. I asked them to stand, started adjusting my camera for aperture mode. It took a while to get the setting right (to me). By the time I clicked it, the boy saw his dad at the door and started running pushing the girl away. Here is that picture.

I was very unhappy about myself. Seeing the picture, the girl consoled me and said she would stand again. I thanked her and got back to my camera. This time, I was careful not to let her stand for a long time. Before I clicked, her mom made some comment and the girl started shaking her head shouting NO. Here is that shot.

Lessons learned:
Children are not made to stand still. They MOOOOOOOOOVE……

No comments: